To make your life less stressful for your back, you might want to use this checklist
- Know your own strength. Lift what you can handle.
- Always lift and carry close to your body.
- Bend your knees and make your legs do the work.
- Do not twist your back. Turn with your feet.
- Use an upright chair.
- Try a folded towel in the small of your back.
- Get up and stretch every 20 to 30 minutes.
- Try putting one foot on a low box or stool.
- Have your work surface at a comfortable height.
- Adjust your seat from time to time.
- Try a folded towel or pillow in the small of your back.
- Do 20 to 30 minutes of walking, cycling, or swimming every day.
- Gradually increase physical activity.
- Some people prefer a firm mattress, or try boards beneath your mattress.
- Learn how to reduce stress.
- Use relaxation techniques, such as this simple breathing technique while sitting comfortably upright in a chair:
- As you inhale let your stomach expand
- As you exhale let your stomach contract
- As you breathe out, tell yourself to relax and release the muscle tension in your body.æ Take three slow and deep breaths using this technique before and after you exercise or whenever you feel tension.æ Try to practice this in a quiet place each day for 10 minutes.