The Hospital for Joint Diseases provides a diverse range of volunteer opportunities. All programs are non-medical and there are no doctor shadowing positions.
As a general rule, hospital volunteers are required to commit to volunteering on the same day, at same time each week for at least 6 months. Commitment time lengths vary from program to program (4 to 12 months).
We encourage students to volunteer. We offer select programs that accommodate volunteer requests, depending on the time of year and volume of applications. Please let us know if you need to work volunteering around a school schedule and we will see what is available.
MUST BE 16 YEARS OF AGE TO APPLY
- Pleasantly greet all patients, family, visitors with a warm welcome and a smile
- Provide directions and information
- Accompany patient, family, visitors to their destination; Assist with admission and discharge
- Offer coffee/ refreshments to family members; play games with patients and family members
- Plans and implements age-appropriate recreational activities, which normalize the hospital environment for children and families
- Promotes socialization among children and families through such activities as group play or art activities
- Seeks information from the medical staff, when necessary, about a child's special needs and or/ restriction (such as diet, activity level allowed, etc.)
Food and Nutrition Services
- Maintains kitchen cleanliness
- Assists in putting supplies away and setting up and breaking down catered functions
- Assists in food preparation and sandwich assembly
Hospital Gift Shop
- Assists with the daily functions of the gift shop.
- Cashier work, sales, and general customer interaction.
Immediate Care Center (walk-in clinic for patients with muscle, bone, and joint conditions and injuries)
- Visit with patients and families and maintain contact throughout patient stay
- Help patients understand I-Care process
- Obtain comfort items for patients
- Accompany patients and family members to other areas of the hospital
Ambulatory and Acute Surgery/Recovery
- Communicate with Nursing during the movement of patients through the surgical system
- Assists patients and visitors in the waiting rooms and patient areas
- Chart prep and coordination, answering and directing phone calls, computer and clerical tasks
- Assists pharmacist or pharmacy assistant with repackaging, labeling, stock, inventory
- Assists executive secretary with files/paperwork as required.
Initiative for Women with Disabilities-Young Women's Program
- Assist staff with set and break down of program
- Assists participants with their belongings upon arrival and departure of program
- Assists participants with homework, health and wellness classes
- Assist instructors in handing out program materials and motivating participants
Animal Assisted Therapy
- Provide bedside visits, group visits, both inpatient and outpatient, adults and pediatrics
- Pets must have registration with specified pet handler organization
- Pet therapy teams may participate in hospital celebrations and community outreach events
The deadline for summer applications is March 31st. Summer applicants must commit to 120 hours of service within 6-8 weeks. There are limited summer volunteer positions available and due to the amount of applications we receive, we are unable to respond to everyone. We will respond if we think you will be a good match for our programs that have openings.
***Please note that if you are applying for volunteer positions at NYU LANGONE MEDICAL CENTER, you must go to the NYU Langone Medical Center website at http://www.med.nyu.edu/about-us/how-you-can-help/volunteer  to complete the online volunteer application.
Only online applications accepted. Please follow link below to apply for NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases volunteer positions ONLY.
The application process can take 3 to 6 weeks to complete and involves the following steps:
- Volunteer candidates complete an online application.
- Candidates meeting the basic requirements are interviewed by the Coordinator of Volunteer Services.
- If a position is available that matches the volunteer’s skills, interests and time availability, the candidate is referred to the appropriate department for an interview and final decision concerning acceptance.
- If accepted into the program, the volunteer must obtain health clearance and attend orientation and training required for that position.
Hospital for Joint Diseases at NYU Langone Medical Center
301 East 17th Street
New York, New York 10003
Email: VolunteerHJD@nyumc.org