If it is a medical emergency, please call 911 or go to the nearest hospital emergency room. For orthopaedic injuries that occur when you are in the NYC area, we have servicesthat can provide you with immediate or scheduled visits with a physician.
- Dance Clinic  - Consultation with a physician specializing in dance medicine. By appointment only on Monday afternoons and Thursday mornings. Financial Assistance options are available. No dancer is turned away due to financial hardship. Call 212-598-6022 to schedule an appointment. Located at 240 E 18th Street, corner of 2nd Avenue.
Immediate Care Center  - Walk-in urgent care for any person with an orthopaedic injury. Open from 8am to 11pm, seven days a week. Located at 301 E 17th Street, 1st floor, corner of 2nd Avenue.
Please understand that a visit to the Immediate Care Center is not an appointment with a dance specialist. However, the physicians in our Dance Clinic will be able to review any diagnostic imaging taken at your Immediate Care visit. In order for us to best serve you with follow up care and financial services, please call our main office (212-598-6022) immediately after your Immediate Care Center appointment.
Find the appropriate financial assistance option for you.
The Harkness Center for Dance Injuries and the Hospital for Joint Diseases at NYU Langone Medical Center offer two distinct programs to assist in containing medical costs for patients. Dancers are eligible for financial assistance if they are uninsured; have exhausted their insurance benefits; or incur deductibles, co-payments or co-insurance costs which they are unable to pay. An application is required to demonstrate financial need. Once approved, services may be paid up to 100%.
- Charity Care 
Eligible: Dancers who are NY State Residents
- If you have health insurance in your home country and the insurance company has provided you with a Unites States billing address, you may be able to use your insurance at our hospital. Please have your insurance information (including the US billing address and phone number) available when you call to schedule your appointment.
- If you carry health insurance in your home country but the insurance company does not have a US billing address, you will need to submit the bill for services rendered at the NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases to your health insurance company. Depending on your insurance plan, you may have to pay for services up front and be reimbursed by your insurance company later.
- If you are an international student with no health insurance, you may qualify for financial assistance through our facility. Please see the financial assistance (links back to financial FAQ) options above.
In order to schedule a physical therapy appointment you must have a New York physical therapy prescription. If you do not have a prescription for physical therapy, please call to schedule a Dance Clinic  appointment. If you do have a New York physical therapy prescription, please call to schedule an Initial Evaluation at the Harkness Physical Therapy  Center.
- Location – (614 2nd Ave Suite G) 212-598-6054
Full Staff of Dance Medicine Experts
Prescription from MD required
Financial Assistance Options Available
Call to schedule one of our FREE Injury Prevention Assessments .
By Appointment Only
The Harkness Center offers one-hour, free-of-charge injury prevention assessments for dancers. During this unique injury prevention program each dancer is seen individually for an hour by a therapist who reviews the dancer's complaints, medical and nutrition histories and performance on abattery of tests. The screening is designed to evaluate the risk the dancer is exposed to and to discuss the dancer’s concerns before an injury occurs. At the conclusion of the assessment the dancer is given an individually tailored injury prevention exercise regime with recommendations for modification of their technique, training strategies, footwear and/or dance environment. The aim of the screening is to maximize each dancer’s potential for wellness.
Please call to schedule an appointment:
- Dance Clinic Appointment: 212-598-6022 (Details)
- Physical Therapy Appointment: 212-598-6054 (Details)
- FREE Injury Prevention Assessment: 212-598-6022 (Details)