To enhance the health, well-being and quality of life of dancers and dance companies by providing state-of-the-art, affordable medical care.
Harkness Center for Dance Injuries aims to:
- provide excellent musculoskeletal healthcare to the dance community at affordable rates through a team of specialized medical professionals.
- offer free, one-on-one prevention clinics for individual dancers
- make available free or subsidized preventative and educational outreach programs for dancers, teachers, choreographers and administrators about the occupational, behavioral and mechanical factors associated with dance injuries.
- assist the dance community with identification and reduction of injury risks
- conduct ongoing research which advances the quality of dance science and improves the delivery of dance medicine.
- establish standards of excellence for dance medicine practitioners.
- interact with the dance community to minimize medical insurance costs.
- provide continuing education opportunities for the medical community in the specialized area of dance medicine.
- enhance the visibility of the dance medicine specialist within the dance and medical communities and in the general public.
- serve on the boards and committees of national and international dance medicine associations and journals.